Potsdamer Platz is a historic traffic junction in the Berlin central districts of ‘Mitte’ and ‘Tiergarten’ in between the old inner city in the east and the new west of Berlin.
During the construction of the Berlin customs city wall, the Potsdamer Tor was erected in 1734. From the late 18th Century the Berlin-Potsdamer Chaussee (later Potsdamer Strasse), served as an important link to the network of large connecting Prussian avenues. In 1831, the area to the west of the city wall’s gate, the square in front of the Potsdamer Tor, was given its current name.
With the Potsdam long-distance train station, the underground station and the numerous tram and bus lines, Potsdamer Platz soon became one of the busiest center points in Europe until the end of the Second World War. It operated one of the very first traffic light systems in Europe from 1924. In the first 40 years of the 20th century the square and streets connecting to the square, developed into a popular meeting place for Berlin’s political, social and cultural scenes.